Monday, February 12, 2007

Workout Update - Day One

Had the first session with the personal trainer tonight. She (Cathy) and her husband (Mark) were both there. Cathy will be my trainer, but she brought Mark along for input on plan development and in case she can't make it sometime.
In short, my ass is kicked (and this was just the assessment). The word of the day is squats. That's right, squats. I thought I was going to squat out my innards and two partially digested carnitas tacos. The whole purpose of this session was to identify exercises that would work for me and set weight and rep counts. I think I found my threshold quite well for a beginner.
About half way through the weight lifting portion of the program, I started having a weird sensation like someone was muffling my hearing on and off in a slow, cyclical pattern. It wasn't going along with my heartbeat and it wasn't too intrusive, but I took a break. It went away eventually, but it really felt like some odd pressure in my head. I took a break a little later, before the last set of barbell squats because my vision was getting a little flat and grey (a sure sign that it's time to take a break and breathe deeply before dropping like Lucille Austero with a case of the dizzies).
After weights, we moved on to cardio. I finally, truly understand the scene in Lost in Translation where Bill Murray is trapped on the elliptical trainer and cant get off, and is yelling, "Help! Help!!" I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I felt as though any grace or poise I'd had upon entering the room had left me like French Soldiers fleeing a combat zone.
After a few minutes (84 seconds) of that, it was clear that I am not yet ready for heavy intervallic training, so we're going to keep it to some steady cardio for 20-45 minutes for two or three weeks before stepping up the intensity.
So, here's where I stand at day one:
Height: 6'2" (this one won't change)
Weight: 259 lbs
Chest: 48"
Waist: 40"
Biceps: too large to measure. Freakishly large. Ladies - wanna feel?

All for now - more as things progress...

1 comment:

bluefalling said...

*snickers at taco comment*

I'm sure your legs are hating you today for all those squats!

Glad you didn't keel over.